Monday, February 4, 2008

Networking PC's

I ran into a problem over the weekend when I had to move my computers away from the router/cable modem.

I have one PC that can only access the LAN with a cable. I have another PC that has wireless LAN capabilities.

I needed to access the Internet with my LAN PC. So I ran a network cable from one PC to the other and utilized the PC's WLAN to access the Internet.

There were two things I needed to do, though. On my WLAN PC, I had to check a box that allowed other PC's to access the Internet through that PC.

And on my LAN PC, I had to go through the Network Setup Wizard and check the box saying I want to access the Internet through another PC.

After a restart, all was good :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

if i read this right your LAN pc is now depending on the other machine being on

why not just get a wireless card for the other machine?

ComputerwiseTV said...

Because I don't want to go through the hassle for what I'm considering a "temporary" solution.

Mike said...

Why not just get a router w/ wifi capability?

ComputerwiseTV said...

As an update, I just got a USB Wireless Networking Unit to make this PC wireless.

Unknown said...

Hi,
Since it is your system motherboard deficiency that it support only LAN network.Thus the alternate good option to connect your both computer is may be blue-tooth, wi-fi and router.
=========
Registry Fix

Robert Wisewell said...

Very interesting layout you got there

Robert

Best registry checker